Monday, September 26, 2005

My roommates and I have decided to institute a weekly "family meal" together. We will take turns cooking for each other and introducing each to our different cuisines from home. We've grouped off so that every other week the Chinese girls (Tang, Gu, and Bi) will cook, alternating with the Americans (Ashley and myself). Yesterday was our first Chinese meal, and it was fabulous! The girls made fried rice, fish, prawns, and a couple of different vegetable dishes. It was so nice to have a home-cooked Chinese meal because most of what you get at the hawker stalls here are either versions of a stir fry drenched in oil or noodle bowls. So next week it is Ashley's and my turn, and I think we're going to make Mexican because none of the girls have ever tried it. We are limited in our cooking abilities because we don't have an oven, and only a double burner, but I think we can manage to make quesadillas, or something like that. I do miss cooking a lot, so I am really looking forward to these weekly cook-a-thons.

No comments: