Thursday, September 15, 2005

While I do enjoy living in Singapore, I also have a few gripes. And this blog wouldn't be completely honest if I didn't include the negative, would it? First, the one thing that has REALLY annoyed me these last couple of days is the way Singaporeans communicate- they will not answer simple questions! I know this is cultural and North Americans are actually probably quite unique in their directness, but having been conditioned into the North American way of relating to the world, I can't help getting a little annoyed sometimes.... So, examples: (1) I wanted to order a pizza. I called the pizza place and asked what their special included (they advertise 2 for 1)- was it a 1 topping pizza or a 2 topping pizza, etc? The woman WOULD NOT answer my simple question. No, I had to give her my address and actually order it. But how could I order the pizza if I didn't know what I was ordering??? (2) One of the local gyms was advertising a 6-week trial membership for $20. Wow, that sounds like a great deal, right?? So I called up the gym to find out how long the promotion was lasting, and what the normal membership fees were. Would they answer my questions? Of course not. I had to make an appointment to go in to the gym and meet one of the managers for a tour and to discuss membership options. So I did this. All I wanted to know about was the trial membership. Would they tell me anything about it? Of course not (I am beginning to wonder if it even exists). They kept trying to push a full membership on me and a 12-month contract, and even gave me a special student "deal" ("only for you"- yeah right). And I had to sign up TODAY or the offer would go away. I admit that when we finally got down to a the student deal, it was an ok price, but of course I hadn't come prepared to pay an enrollment fee and 3 months deposit. Couldn't even pay it today if I wanted to. After over an hour of meeting with the guy for a simple gym membership, it all came to nothing. See why I am annoyed? And I am a very patient and tolerant person! You should have seen my friend Heather who was with me (and admittedly still has "the rage" against Singapore- even after living here for 6 months)- she was seething!!

Pretty much everyday there are little things like this that happen here in Singapore. In general, none of this bothers me, because I have actually experienced far worse inconveniences in other places in the world. It's all part of what you have to expect about living overseas. If you come with an expectation that things will be the same as at home, you are bound to be disappointed and to not enjoy your time overseas. Expect to have to adjust to a totally different way of living, and you can chalk it all up to a "different" but simulataneously exciting and enriching experience! So yes, I am a bit annoyed, but it's a small inconvenience when considered on the whole.

All the same, I think I will make a list of things I "like" and "don't like quite so much" about life out here (in order to give you all the real picture of life in Singapore):

I LIKE
- The diversity of neighborhoods and places to hang out in Singapore- it will take me the whole year to explore this entire island.
- The multiracial society.
- How CLEAN everything is (huge fines for littering and such is a small sacrifice to keep a city this wonderfully clean).
- Singapore's location- it's a great base for exploring the rest of Asia.
- All the subsidized activities, food, computers, etc. for students out here.
- The excellent public transportation system.
- That taxis are so affordable.

I DON'T LIKE
- How long it takes to get everywhere on public transportation (waiting and more waiting) and that I couldn't have a car or motorbike if I wanted to because of all the fees and never-ending procedures to go through.
- That it also takes forever to hail a taxi in this city- waiting an hour on the street is not unheard of.
- People walk soooo slow here, never move to let you pass, and will often smash into you on the sidewalk and not apologise.
- The only real form of local entertainment seems to be shopping.
- Living costs are quite high (except food at school), and the apartments really are not very nice for what you pay.
- That the rulemaking goes a little far here... leading to a complete lack of flexibility in all areas of life.

No comments: