Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Every time I go out and explore Singapore, I find the city more and more fascinating. There really is a lot to see and do here- I feel as if I have barely touched upon all the possibilities. I'm glad I have a couple of friends coming out to visit because it will give me the perfect opportunity to get out and be a "tourist" for a bit. I already have ideas about things we're going to see and do!

On Sunday I went with Heather and Jess (and Jess's friend Brody who was visiting from Canada) to the colonial part of town (Raffles). I haven't spent that much time down there at night, but it reminded me of just how beautiful the colonial architecture is. We went to dinner at Chijmes, which is a gorgeous colonial compound that is now filled with shops and restaurants, with a beautiful old chapel right in the middle (though it is no longer a church- they use it now for different events, like a launch for a new product, etc.). After dinner, we stopped by the Raffles Hotel, which is the oldest hotel in Singapore. Jess is thinking about having her wedding there, so we wanted to check out the ballroom. Raffles is also famous for it's Long Bar, where tourists now go to have a Singapore Sling. I hadn't been in the Long Bar before, having had my first Singapore Sling at the courtyard bar in the Raffles, but have decided that I will definitely go back sometime and join the other crowds of tourists in buying the vastly over-priced drinks at the Long Bar. The ambience is worth it- a two-story bar with a long bar (hence the name) on each floor and a spiral staircase rising up from the middle of the room. Wicker chairs all about with traditional grass fans waving from the ceiling. Very "The Quiet American".

Next, we strolled over to the Esplanade, which is Singapore's equivalent to the Sydney Opera House, though the building here looks more like a hedgehog (thanks Emily, it's proved to be a very useful analogy). The Esplanade is also the closest Singapore gets to having a waterfront. Out behind the building there is a small open-air concert venue and a promenade. You can gaze across at the skyscrapers of Singapore's Central Business District, and the magnificent Fullerton Hotel that crouches at the base of the towering buildings on the waterfront. The Fullerton Hotel used to be the old post office, and it certainly rivals Raffles and Chijmes for the best architecture in town. I've heard it also has the best champagne brunches and chocolate buffets....

No comments: