Thursday, March 16, 2006

Earlier this week I was having one of those days where I just felt a bit down and blah (very concise and descriptive term, I know), so I decided that what I needed to feel better was a long walk. Was I ever right!! I need to remember how much I love going for long walks and make sure to incorporate it into my lifestyle. It was HOT outside (as usual), but once I was outside the heat seemed so much better than the stifling oppression of my apartment. Not knowing where exactly I ought to go, I decided to head in the direction of Orchard Rd (town) and see how long it would take me to get there. It wasn't nearly as far as I thought- only 1 hour! And the walk was marvelous- the great thing about Singapore is that even though it is a big city, it is very green. I was walking along one of the major roads that traverses the island, yet all around me were trees and jungle and I could even hear the crickets and tree frogs chirping away in the trees. In a strange way, this particular road reminded me a lot of Portland- the drive between the tunnels into town and Beaverton. Of course, the vegetation here is much more tropical, but it has that same density. Maybe I will start going on walks more often and exploring different areas in Singapore. There's still a lot I haven't seen.

No comments: