Friday, March 31, 2006

Just got back from the Damien Rice concert- I LOVE his music! The concert was interesting though- he was definitely high on *something* and I get the impression that it was a thrown-together sort of thing where he was going to Singapore and decided that he might as well do a show while there. So it was just him- no band. And it wasn't really planned out at all. Which was cool in some ways because it was very low-key and in some ways like hanging out in his studio listening to him mess around instead of a formal concert. He took several requests and joked around trying to play songs that normally required a piano, etc. A lot of improv. And, actually, he totally forgot the words to several songs. For a minute I was like, "uh? ok?" but he played it off well and it just turned out really funny. Like when he played "I remember," which begins "I remember it well..." and then he just kept playing but not singing, and a couple of seconds later he had to laugh and comment on the irony of the song because he actually couldn't remember the second line. It was also a really small venue- only 600 people- which of course, was about as good as you can get for a concert. So it was fun and great to hear him live, though I would really like to hear him with the full band sometime in the future.

So that was the excitement of the week. Otherwise I have been cranking out Chapter 2 of my thesis. I decided tonight though that I am too bogged down in it right now and am going to take a couple days break to work on bar outlines instead, and then come back to the thesis- I've been at it everyday now for a week and it has just become too much! Sad that bar studying is my "break" from thesis writing however. Pitiful, really. Well, tomorrow I am going to a fashion show for Singapore Fashion Week and also out to dinner- don't know where quite yet.

I've taken some photos around Singapore lately, so I'm going to post some of them:

First, here are some photos of the Botanic Gardens. Last weekend I went for a really long walk with a friend around the gardens- they're actually walking distance from my apartment and a great place to escape from urban atmosphere of Singapore. That last one almost had me fooled that it might be fall here! No such luck....






These next two pics are both from outside the Asian Civilizations Museum. There's me in front of the Raffles Statue and a view of Boat Quay from across the river.





And lastly, here's my part of town. I live just down the street from this quaint little area known as "Holland Village"- yes, there is a windmill and it is peopled by many a Dutch person. It's kind of a trendy coffee shop and restaurant neighborhood, and gets A LOT busier at night. Oh, and that's my apartment building. Thrilling, I know.



No comments: