Thursday, October 06, 2005

I should probably clarify that even while I am complaining about some of the annoyances of life here in Singapore, it has not escalated to the level that I am unhappy that I made the decision to come here. No, at least for now, I am still happy to be in Singapore for the year. Singapore is still a good place, just frustrating of late! In fact, what I have decided about Singapore is that it would be a great place to live if you had money- because that's when you can afford all the wonderful things that Singapore has to offer- shopping, restaurants, shows, etc. It is definitely a center of culture in Southeast Asia, and a great mix of East and West, thus presenting access to "whatever" a foreigner should want here, right??? Well, such is the case if you are in the class of people who can afford it. Student life, on the other hand, is far below what it should be for a developed country like this. The facilities are totally run-down and inconvenient (I recently found out that there are no fire alarms and the building has electrical problems). In fact, I was reflecting back on all the places I've lived overseas, including in much less developed countries like Morocco, Uganda, and Kyrgyzstan, and the truth is that where I am right now is the worst accommodations I have had. Hence the reason I am fed up with it. So, maybe I will see some progress as I went to see the Dean of the Law School and he said he will see what he can do to help me. In this country you definitely have to go up up up to the very top person if you want to see anything accomplished. So I'm keeping my fingers crossed that change will come soon, though it is far from a sure thing, and who knows how long it will take?

No comments: