Saturday, October 15, 2005

Today I did something that I ought to be doing more, since it is one of the great things about living in Singapore. I went to Little India and had a good explore around the area. I've been there a couple of times before, but it seems there are plenty of reasons to go back! I had forgotten that it is leading up to Deepavali right now, so a perfect time to visit Little India. For those of you who aren't versed in indian festivals, Deepavali is the "festival of lights" and one of the biggest celebrations of the year. During Deepavali, people light earthen 'diyas' (lamps), decorate their houses, set off firecrackers, and have huge feasts with friends and family. The lighting of lamps is apparently a way of paying obeisance to god for attainment of health, wealth, knowledge, peace, valor and fame. I think Deepavali is November 1 this year? I better check and make sure. It will be really fun to go back to Little India for the celebrations. Anyway, leading up to the holiday, the streets of Little India are packed with people buying decorations for their homes and beautiful sarees for the celebrations. They have set up a special holiday bazaar on one street to sell holiday treats, jewellery, and decorations. I ended up buying some fabric that was on sale, so now I better come up with some ideas of what I want to make out of it.

Well, I am off to Burma tomorrow. I'll write again in about a week about my Burma adventures, and include some pictures as well. We will be going to Bagan, which I have high expectations will be one of the most fascinating places I will ever visit!

No comments: