Monday, May 08, 2006

I am going to miss Asia so much. I have developed my "hot spots" trip that I think I am going to have to repeat many times in the future. Here it is: Bangkok-Chiangmai-Luang Prabang-Hoi An-Bangkok

It's an easy loop that I could make if I only have time for a short vacation, and it has all the elements of my favorite type of vacation- shopping (including going to the tailor), eating really good food, relaxing and partaking of spa-type experiences, enjoying beautiful countryside strolls and such, and the beach. Bangkok is one of my shopping meccas. It is my favorite big city in the region and I love going to the MBK shopping center and to the Chatuchak weekend market. Chiangmai, of course, is a nostalgic visit for me since I used to live there- I have favorite restaurants and outings there. I love to rent a motorbike and go driving through the countryside, strolling through the night market, and to dinner at Riverside Restaurant. Luang Prabang is a peaceful oasis in Southeast Asia. It is perfect for early morning strolls, relaxing spa treatments, and chocolate croissants. Hoi An is my tailor and beach stop. Not to mention that Mango Rooms is one of the best restaurants I have ever been to. mmm. And then back to Bangkok to jet home! I could easily do that trip in a 10 day to 2 week space, though more time would be even better.... still, it is perfect!

The other 2 places I would add to a Southeast Asia itinerary if I had the time would be Singapore of course (to visit friends and such), and Bali (specifically, I really liked the town of Ubud). Those places are not very enroute with the above loop though, so might have to be a separate trip. Of course, there are lots of other great places to visit in SE Asia, some that I have been to and enjoy but just don't have that same magnetism for me as the above-listed places. And of course there are so many places I haven't even been yet.... I would especially like to explore more of Bali and other parts of Indonesia, as well as more of Vietnam.

No comments: