Sunday, May 21, 2006

Less than a week now until I leave Singapore, and I'm getting that feeling everytime I go anywhere that it is my last time there (probably true for awhile- though I'll probably be back to Singapore in the future. It is an easy stop-over on the way to many places). Yesterday I had my last "outing" and went with Miah to Pulau Ubin, a small island off the East coast of Singapore. It is known for being a rustic island that is an escape from the urban atmosphere of Singapore, and like stepping back in time 30 or so years. Well, I wouldn't exactly rave about Pulau Ubin as a must-see location for any tourist coming to Singapore, but it is kind of a nice place to visit. Something different. There's not really much to do there, and it's quieter than mainland Singapore, which can be a blessed relief. We rented bikes and rode around the island for about an hour, while getting bitten by many mosquitoes, then went and sat near the jetty at a hawker stall where we had chili crab. The East coast is known for its seafood, and the chili crab was definitely good, though I can't say I noticed it being anything special compared to the other chili crab I had with Miah at Chinatown in the fall. It was a very relaxing evening though, and I was glad I had the chance to visit Pulau Ubin before heading home. Here are some pics:




No comments: